The slip down memory lane

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Aug 12 23:33:12 UTC 2010

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> We've tried that in the past and it didn't work. Slipping the whole
> schedule right away is better than slipping piecewise when it comes to
> planning.

Huh? What's the worst that can happen? That we slip again, being at the same
release date as with the cascading slip system. Whereas with the cascading
slips, we risk accumulating ANOTHER slip on top of the one that was already
there. So I think the practice of cascading slips is actually detrimental to
the timeliness of our releases. We shouldn't cascade slips by default. If we
then end up having to re-slip the next milestone, then well, that was kinda
expected, so it shouldn't be counted as a failure. But we should at least
TRY not to cascade the slips.

(This is just a generalization of the principle of: slips WILL happen, so
schedule for an EARLIER date than your actual target. If you schedule for a
later date outright, you won't solve the problem, you'll just make it
worse.)

        Kevin Kofler