The slip down memory lane

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Aug 12 23:51:40 UTC 2010

Will Woods wrote:
> This is a good point, and it's one of the reasons the 'critpath' stuff
> exists. It's the same concept, applied somewhat differently: rather than
> freeze the 'CoreOS' stuff earlier, we freeze it harder - we require more
> testing for those pieces.

The problem is, "freezing harder" doesn't work, freezing earlier, on the
other hand, MIGHT help, see e.g. the fallout from the incompatible change to
ld rushed in the day of the F13 feature freeze, with both the feature owners
and FESCo refusing to see any problem in that.

That said, rather than a hard freeze, I'd like to see some risk-benefit
analysis of the change. In the case of the incompatible ld change, the
benefit was zero and the fallout was clearly visible, it's insane that this
was considered a "feature" at all, but the ONLY time for such a "feature" is
in Rawhide immediately after the branch (i.e. they could have put it into
F14 instead of F13 at the same time, that would have been borderline
acceptable, what they did was absolutely not!).

        Kevin Kofler