The slip down memory lane

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 08:31:21 UTC 2010

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 09:33:17 pm Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 12.08.10 13:19, Mike McGrath (mmcgrath at redhat.com) wrote:
> > Since 2006 I counted 18 slips (I think one or two of those may just be a
> > single slip listed twice).  Lets not yell, lets not flame war, lets not
> > point fingers.  How can we fix this?  It's clearly not one group or one
> > individual or we'd just go talk to them.  This is a collective failure.
> >
> > Since 2006 we've slipped at least 16-18 weeks by my count. That's more
> > than half of a full release cycle.
>
> While I side with mclasen here and believe that it is a strength of
> Fedora that we take the liberty to let cycles slip rather then
> compromise quality, I want to mention one thing: on opensuse the "base"
> system has a different schedule then the rest of the OS. i.e. the
> kernel, gcc, glibc and the low-level tools freeze first, while
> everything else may be hacked on a couple of weeks more. Maybe that's
> something to adopt for Fedora as well?

Agreed. On both. Slips are not problems (if it's not 6 months slip :D). Slips
happens and are regular solution.
But for core system freeze - it's actually THE MUST! For us, booting system with
working Xorg is the point where we can start working on our packages and
testing!!!

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>