"Staying close to upstream"

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 15:26:43 UTC 2010

 On 08/13/2010 08:49 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> But applying KDE integration patches should be a KDE SIG matter, the
> individual package maintainers should have to comply with KDE SIG decisions
> on the matter.

No.  No SIG's have any authority whatsoever over individual package
maintainers outside the packages the team maintains.  No one needs to
"comply" with your requirements.

> How can we offer an integrated desktop experience when individual
> maintainers refuse to work with us, and FESCo only makes our work harder
> with useless bureaucratic policies instead of helping us achieve our goals
> in a way coordinated throughout the distribution?

If you want a integrated experience,  don't work around upstream.  Push
your patches and get it merged there.  Do not try to arm twist Firefox
maintainers to merge patches they do not want to maintain circumventing
upstream.

Rahul