[Test-Announce] Fedora 14 Alpha RC3 Available Now!

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Aug 13 15:49:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:16:36AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Basically, we're missing out on an important new feature and shipping less
> featureful live images than we could for purely political reasons. :-(

The reasons are purely practical. If upstream development is targeting
upstream kernels then we're either stuck with whatever version of the
patchset happened to apply to the kernel version that we're shipping or
we have to backport the upstream code. The former means that someone has
to spend time backporting upstream fixes, the latter means that someone
has to spend time backporting the entire code. Couple that with
Squashfs's traditionally pretty dreadful userspace compatibility and
you've got a large quantity of work that would be the responsibility of
the kernel team.

If there's someone with extensive experience in maintaining a Linux
filesystem who wants to maintain this code in Fedora then it's worth
having a discussion about it, but otherwise there simply isn't enough
manpower available to do a proper job of looking after the code. That's
not politics.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org