Engineering Services - Help Wanted!

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 16:04:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Adam Tkac wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:48:56AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Do you like fixing things but don't care what?
>
> Hello,
>
> may I ask you about FES workflow? Should FES members (with
> provenpackager perms, for example) push fixes directly to git
> and close bugs in bugzilla or should they rather put patches
> into bugzilla and let package maintainers push the patches?

The basic workflow usually works like this:

Someone (usually FESCo) comes up with some work that needs to be done.

They open a ticket.

I assign that ticket to people based on their FES Resumes

If you're a provenpackager, Go ahead and push those fixes directly to the
package.  These are typically release bumps and rebuilds for broken deps
(they aren't generally re-architecture of a package which should be up to
the package owner).

Since the request comes from FESCo, I've usually just tried to do it.  If
I'm going to cross into a territory where I think the packager is going to
be upset by what I've done (IE: to fix a broken dep I need to change a
compile time option...)  Usually I contact the packager first and explain
what I'm up to and why.  Generally I've found they prefer to do that work
themselves but I always offer to help.

Then close the ticket and move on.

That's the basics.

	-Mike