"Staying close to upstream"

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Fri Aug 13 16:42:01 UTC 2010

  On 08/13/2010 10:47 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> No.  No SIG's have any authority whatsoever over individual package
>> maintainers outside the packages the team maintains.  No one needs to
>> "comply" with your requirements.
> That's exactly Fedora's organizational problem.
>
> KDE SIG should have authority over anything KDE-related. Likewise, the Perl
> SIG should have authority over anything Perl-related: if the Perl SIG
> decides that a new Perl developer @ RH should have commit access to all
> perl-* packages, it should be their decision to do so, it was really
> counterproductive of FESCo to interfere with that!

So if someone writes a KDE plugin for Application XYZ, it becomes a KDE
package?  What?

My understanding of the SIG concept was that they were groups of people
who were self-organizing around a particular theme to further that theme
in Fedora, i.e. Games, Live Upgrade, KDE, etc.  I never got the
impression that they were little fiefdoms with absolute power.

This is shades of the Federal-power vs. State's Rights debate in the
U.S.  And for similar reasons, it seems.

-J

--
- in your fear, speak only peace
   in your fear, seek only love