[Test-Announce] Fedora 14 Alpha RC3 Available Now!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Aug 13 16:43:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 18:20:29 +0200,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I really think the benefits and costs need to be looked at on a case by
> > case basis and the package maintainers should be the ones making the call.
>
> The problem is, the kernel maintainers (and you, apparently) don't seem to
> realize what big difference a 10% improvement in compression rate makes to
> our live images! For KDE, we have to fight for every single MB, often making
> tough decisions (e.g. size constraints are why we no longer ship Amarok on
> the live image). Better compression would allow us quite some headroom to
> work with.

I think I do realize that a 10% size improvement is very nice. Unfortunately
I don't have the ability to maintain Lougher's previously posted patches
(and have other work important to Fedora that would greatly suffer if I
took time out to learn how to do it). I have similar issues with the Games
Spin. That's why I have been pushing for this. But I don't have the money to
pay Lougher to do a new implementation now, nor do i have time to learn how
do an implementation myself.

Also note, that all of the infrastructure is in place except kernel support.
So that if say 2.6.37 gains LZMA support for squashfs, you'll be able to
use it in F14 to do builds taking advantage of it. You won't necessarily need
to wait for F15 to start taking advantage of it. (Though it will end up being
too late for the GA Release images unless something unexpected happens in the
next few days.)