"Staying close to upstream"

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 17:09:20 UTC 2010

 On 08/13/2010 10:33 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Uh, AFAIK Jaroslav Řezník has talked to both the OO.o and the Firefox
> maintainers about KDE integration (there are maintainers or comaintainers of
> both in the same RH office), in both cases with little success so far. In
> OO.o's case, some or all of the KDE stuff actually went upstream (I'm not
> sure if it's finally all upstreamed or if there are still patches from go-oo
> needed; I'll also note that we're the only major distro not to use go-oo),
> the maintainers said they'd look into enabling it, nothing happened. In
> Firefox's case, the answer was just "trademarks" and so we never bothered
> making a formal request because we know it wouldn't get anywhere.

My point remains.  You cannot claim to represent all of KDE SIG's
viewpoints on this matter unless you can point to such a request.   Red
Hat employees talking to each other in their offices cannot change
this.  I can't rely on water cooler discussions.  It should be public
for the sake of transparency in this matter.   I recommend KDE SIG push
for KDE integration patches upstream.  The current approach of trying to
force maintainers to accept patches simply does not work.

Rahul