"Staying close to upstream"

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 13 17:23:20 UTC 2010

On Friday, August 13, 2010, 1:05:16 PM, Kevin wrote:
> Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> My understanding of the SIG concept was that they were groups of people
>> who were self-organizing around a particular theme to further that theme
>> in Fedora, i.e. Games, Live Upgrade, KDE, etc.

> Right, but that makes them naturally the best bodies to make decisions
> related to those respective themes.
>         Kevin Kofler

It  seems to me that "best" depends on the point of view of the person
in question, and the outcome of a given decision.

The  FireFox  maintainer  might  well  be  viewed as best qualified to
determine  which  (if  any) distribution-specific patches they want to
support  over  the life of the package.   If you say no, then put that
maintainer in a "FireFox SIG" and repeat the question.

FESCo  might  well  be viewed as best to deal with policies related to
updates  across  _all_ Fedora SIGs and releases, since that one of the
tasks they were _ELECTED_ to perform.

Seems  you think best is one way in one case, and the other way in the
other  case.   It is this inconsistency that folks are trying to bring
to your attention.

Al