New bodhi release in production

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Aug 13 22:12:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:17:39 +0200
Sven Lankes <sven at lank.es> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 07:21:50PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>
> > I wonder why I get the impression that the only ones who strongly
> > oppose this change are you folks from KDE SIG... Are you doing
> > things differently from anyone else in fedora - the rest of us are
> > either more or less neutral or positive towards this new change?
>
> I don't think that this about the KDE SIG at all.
>
> Not everyone is as passionate (or stubborn) as Kevin.

I agree.

> Most fedorians I talk to are watching all the discussions to see if
> the fedora that is currently being formed with all the changes that
> are happening is still a distribution that they're comfortable
> contributing to. And as the only way to get heard is to fuel a
> flamewar on fedora-devel they just stay silent.

I think the flamewars are making people think this is a bigger deal
than it really is.

> > [...] I'm for more testing and more conservative update policy in
> > general in stable branches.
>
> I don't oppose the ongoing changes in general but still - when I read
> through fesco meeting logs I am often disappointed by the amount of
> politics going on and more than once I wished that FESCO as a whole
> would grow a pair.

Can you expand on that? I'm not sure what you mean...

> I for one have decided that I'm going to stop contributing if the
> 'Stable Update Vision' is going to be implemented as currently
> discussed. If the powers that be are going to stop maintainers from
> issuing updates that are not security or bugfix updates then fedora
> will have turned into a distro that I'm not interested in.

Bring your concerns to the Board that issued the vision statement?

I personally think the "just security and bugfixes" is too strong.
I am going to try and push for an exceptions process that takes into
account upstreams that don't release in a way thats compatible with
fedora's release cycle.

I hope you won't be hasty and will try and work with whatever framework
we end up with and help us adjust it.

kevin