The slip down memory lane

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Aug 14 00:21:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 16:11 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:

> On the data side, it would be very interesting to go back to each one of
> those slips and identify the component(s) that caused the slip and then
> question the individuals behind them to find out what happened.  Then
> take that information (share it with the list ?) and see what can be
> concluded (as a group ?)

This would be incomplete data.

For instance, the bug we decided to slip Alpha for was the 'basic video
driver' menu entry in the installer not working. But that's not
necessarily the entire cause of the slip. If the entire release process
had run on time, and we'd had really testable candidate images earlier
than we did, it's entirely possible this bug would have been identified
and fixed in time for the Alpha to be shipped.

Just looking at the specific bugs that end up blocking the release does
not give a complete picture of why the release slipped.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey