New bodhi release in production

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Aug 14 17:05:42 UTC 2010

Martin Sourada wrote:
> I still remember the epic fail of having KDE 4.0 in stable fedora

* I still think the KDE 4.0.3 we shipped in F9 wasn't that bad. We fixed all
the showstoppers before F9 was released, and were also quick to ship updates
fixing more annoyances, including updates to later 4.0.x releases. Yes, I
used F9 with 4.0.x myself, one one machine.
* KDE 4.0 wasn't an update at all! It was what was shipped with a NEW
release. We intentionally DID NOT update F8 to KDE 4.x. Not 4.0, not 4.1,
not ever. This kind of changes is exactly what we have releases for and why
rolling release models are not usable for production.
* Version updates, the very ones you complain about, brought that 4.0 up to
4.1 and later 4.2. I used F9 on my main machine from F8's EOL up to F9's
EOL. F9 with KDE 4.2 (and IMHO even 4.1) was rock solid, actually one of the
stablest Fedoras I used. (For example, F10 had issues with my hardware's
ALSA driver affecting PulseAudio, F11 with the graphics driver.)

> I like that Fedora is bleeding edge in rawhide, recieves good deal of
> testing *before* release and is more or less conservative when it comes
> to important stuff after release. That way we can provide our users with
> *stable* but sufficiently modern stuff (in many areas even a few months
> ahead of other distros). And I think the new policy aligns pretty well
> with this.

KDE 4.0 was a result of "Fedora [being] bleeding edge in rawhide", this was
NOT pushed "after release". And it DID receive a "good deal of testing
*before* release". We were very hard at work fixing showstoppers resp.
getting them fixed upstream, it would have been much worse otherwise! If you
had compared the pre-4.0 prerelease which was initially imported into
Rawhide with the 4.0.3 + patches we shipped in F9, you'd have noticed that
there were worlds of differences in reliability and glitch-freeness! A lot
of the bugs that were fixed were reported by Rawhide or kde-redhat unstable
users, some of them were fixed by Fedora developers.

The NON-conservative updates are what brought 4.1 and 4.2 to the F9 release,
resolving many of the complaints users had about 4.0.

        Kevin Kofler