New bodhi release in production

List Troll mrlisttroll at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 19:09:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>> I still remember the epic fail of having KDE 4.0 in stable fedora
>
> * I still think the KDE 4.0.3 we shipped in F9 wasn't that bad. We fixed all
> the showstoppers before F9 was released, and were also quick to ship updates
> fixing more annoyances, including updates to later 4.0.x releases. Yes, I
> used F9 with 4.0.x myself, one one machine.

Wow, you actually used F9 yourself (on one machine)? What an accomplishment.

> * KDE 4.0 wasn't an update at all! It was what was shipped with a NEW
> release. We intentionally DID NOT update F8 to KDE 4.x. Not 4.0, not 4.1,
> not ever. This kind of changes is exactly what we have releases for and why
> rolling release models are not usable for production.
> * Version updates, the very ones you complain about, brought that 4.0 up to
> 4.1 and later 4.2. I used F9 on my main machine from F8's EOL up to F9's
> EOL. F9 with KDE 4.2 (and IMHO even 4.1) was rock solid, actually one of the
> stablest Fedoras I used. (For example, F10 had issues with my hardware's
> ALSA driver affecting PulseAudio, F11 with the graphics driver.)

Are you seriously trying to say that you updated your own machine to
Fedora 9 (KDE 4) 7 (!) months after it was rolled out? I have no
words.

Good work using everybody else as your test subjects: when they have
ironed out all the bugs, you finally update your own computer.

   M.T.