Mailing list guidelines and smartphones

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Sat Aug 14 22:32:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

despite the occasional flamewar and useless argumentation the fedora-
mailinglist (and especially the high-traffic 'devel' list) I find that
the mailinglist is one of the more pleasant FLOSS related mailinglist to
read. This probably because of the fact that there are guidelines and
that people not following them receive friendly, off-list reminders.

(see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines )

Smartphones seem to be changing this and the number of full-quote,
top-post emails is increasing steadily.

This annoys me a lot (yeah right - I'm one of those people who're always
complaining about everything).

I don't think that the fact that smartphone-clients are incapable of
creating email-replies that follow our rules warrants putting a footer
in ones mail stating "Please excuse me breaking the rules, but I have to
because of the contstraints of the device I'm using".

I would like to add something similar to the following to the "If You
Are Replying to a Message" part in the wiki:

    The fact that you're sending the email from a smartphone or similar
    device doesn't invalidate those guidelines. Please consider sending
    the reply at a later time when you have access to your regular
    email system or send a privat reply instead.

Opinions?

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net