Javascript JIT in web browsers

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 22:48:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 19:31 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> I think using javascript for pages meant to be used by the general public
> is a bad idea. It encourages people who don't know better to enable
> javascript for general browsing, which signifcantly increases the risks
> to them for having credentials stolen or their desktop hacked.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it is effectively impossible to use
all sorts of useful websites without Javascript enabled. Even for
freedom-loving geeks. I run noscript by default, but I usually have to
enable scripts for at least the actual host I'm visiting to make most
sites in any way usable. Especially interactive ones (small things like
filling out government forms, buying plane or train or any other kinds
of tickets, etc).

Shipping a Firefox with no ability to use Javascript would be more or
less equal to not shipping it, frankly. No-one would use the thing.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey