Javascript JIT in web browsers

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Aug 16 23:35:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 15:48:14 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile, back in the real world, it is effectively impossible to use
> all sorts of useful websites without Javascript enabled. Even for

Then don't use them. If sites don't get used they may stop requiring
people to significantly reduce the security of their systems to use them.
It doesn't even have to be all of them, just the ones that aren't that
important.

> Shipping a Firefox with no ability to use Javascript would be more or
> less equal to not shipping it, frankly. No-one would use the thing.

While I think Firefox could do several things to increase it's real
security instead of it's apparent security, I was actually complaining
about the server side. Sites that use javascript encourage people to
leave it turned on and even optional javascript is bad. Other ways of
doing things (xforms, css, server computation) should be used instead.
(Things that are really applications used with a special trust relationship
and not by the general public are different.)