The slip down memory lane

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 17 19:44:55 UTC 2010

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> So, on the whole, I agree with you.  My only question is whether we're in
> a transitional period or if the culture is changing so slowly that we'll
> never get out of this treatment of our time resources.

I think it's neither. It's that the "new way of working" being suggested in
this thread is entirely unrealistic. We just cannot at the same time focus
on fixing release showstoppers AND doing active development for the next
release. It is nice to have Rawhide open so early, and some of us do take
advantage of it (for example, the KDE SIG imported kdepim 4.5 into Rawhide
(kdepim 4.5 is going to release separately from KDE 4.5 and so it didn't
make F14)), but you cannot expect everyone to do Rawhide development now; if
we all did, the release would end up really sucking.

In addition, the way those freezes are handled also makes fixing bugs hard.
While preparing for the Alpha, stable pushes for F14 updates have now been
halted for 2 or 3 weeks! In addition, the new update policies, which are
also being applied to the F14 branch (IMHO way too early – before NFR,
builds would still enter the pending release directly until Preview (now
Beta), these days we freeze at Alpha, i.e. one milestone earlier!), also
slow down bugfixes.

Our "culture" is the way it is for a reason, it cannot ever be changed. The
stricter freezes just make it a PITA to do development.

        Kevin Kofler