Get rid of file requires outside of the primary paths

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 18 11:24:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 01:10:29PM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> Fedora Engineering Services
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Engineering_Services) received
> request to get rid of file requires outside of the primary paths
> (https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/31).
>
> Your package directly requires file outside of the primary paths so
> every time when your package is going to be installed/updated complete
> filelists for the distribution have to be downloaded.
>
> If you prefer to fix your package yourself, please send me a mail till
> end of this week. Otherwise I will fix your package.
>
> List of affected packages is attached.
>
> Regards, Adam
>
> --
> Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

> rjones libguestfs

I have no intention of changing this.  It's done for a perfectly
good reason described here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-April/134663.html

[Unless someone is actually willing to do the large amount of work
required to change this (see above) and ensure that performance isn't
affected by the change.]

In addition, I think the reason for doing this is specious.  This
doesn't affect anyone except libguestfs users, and no one has yet
complained to me about the overhead of having to download filelists
while installing libguestfs.

Rich.