Get rid of file requires outside of the primary paths

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Aug 19 02:29:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 22:43 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 08:02:13AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > I am a libguestfs user and I'm complaining. It means I have to schlep
> > down a bunch of extra info on every update of libguestfs and that sucks
> > on my bandwidth.
>
> This is basically a hard problem to solve.  We rely on copying files
> directly from the host into our appliance, so we rely on file
> dependencies.  We could change it so we didn't need file dependencies,
> but that would cause silent breakage on updates.

There are plenty of other kinds of breakage that cannot be caught by RPM
dependencies.  Why do you insist on using RPM dependencies to catch this
kind, rather than testing and communication with the maintainers of the
packages you depend on?

The benefit of catching a moved file at RPM install time rather than in
testing has to be weighed against the cost for all your users to
download the file list.

--
Matt