broken dependencies caused by GNOME bouncing between 3 and 2.x without any advance notice

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Thu Aug 19 14:24:57 UTC 2010

Dear GNOME maintainers,
I would appreciate it if you announced changes that cause broken
dependencies.

Last month, without any warning, I started getting nagmails about broken
dependencies in one of my packages (gnomeradio) in rawhide and F-14.
The missing dependency was

libgnome-media-profiles.so.0

Soon after I finally got round to rebuilding the package (and porting it
to current GTK2 in rawhide, by the way), I got another nagmail telling
me the package has a broken dependency again. This time it's

libgnome-media-profiles-3.0.so.0

Again, there was no announcement. I am a little upset about it and I'm
asking for some HEADS-UP e-mails either to devel(-announce) or to the
maintainers of the affected packages next time. You probably didn't mean
it that way, but I find your relying (intentional or not) on the automated
dependency checks to inform the maintainers that you've just broken their
packages a little rude. I'm sure you have (and had) your hands full taking
care of the transition forth and back, but seeing that you did have the
time to mention gnomeradio on the GNOME3 Feature wiki page, I find it
odd that you didn't find the time to send a short e-mail announcing
the ABI breakage.

Best regards,
Dominik

"Faith manages."