Why does X run as root?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Aug 19 17:49:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:28:23PM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:

> I think "run X as user Xorg if you're on KMS" would be a fine
> F15Feature to aim for.  Ubuntu's been working on it too:

Of course, doing so just turns it from "Running code as X gives you
root" to "Running code as X gives you root the moment someone types in a
root password, even if they're on a different terminal". I accept that
this is a barrier, but the only real solution is to have each X session
run as a different user - and that requires Linux to gain revoke()
support.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org