Javascript JIT in web browsers

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 21:07:19 UTC 2010

Hi,

>> Well, that's not what HTML, nor the underlying HTTP, was designed for. I
>> don't see it as being an appropriate platform for software at all. (And I
>> don't see plugins such as Flash as being the solution either. I believe
>> this
>> needs a completely different protocol, e.g. NX is something going in that
>> direction.)
>>

> As always Kevin I agree with you. These people don't understand basic OSI
> network layers; rather obvious textbook stuff.

The cool thing about JS and all what's happening today in the browser
world, is that everything is being done at the application layer
(level 4) of the OSI model, a fact which gives a rather unique
opportunity and freedom to software designers to specify applications
protocols easily and without huge constraints vs. what someone has to
deal with if you're at level 3, that's IP. However, like any protocols
meant to be adopted by the majority, app. protocols must also gain the
approbation and consensus of a majority and ideally the spec. must be
made accessible to everyone and implemented accordingly. This is what
drives tech. adoption and global deployment (think HTTP, SOAP, XML and
on the other hand hopefully WebM vs. H.264) and a basis and a
foundation for the next iteration. It happens that HTML (and its
siblings) and JS are part of this wild landscape and both are
*evolving*, and (IMHO) I would like to see Fedora leading (and
pursuing) the way with this.

-Ilyes Gouta