Javascript JIT in web browsers

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Aug 19 22:01:17 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Sorry, but I don't think exposing our users to remote arbitrary code
> execution (!) vulnerabilities just to make web apps a bit faster is a
> reasonable tradeoff.

Kevin, if you took off your FSF blindfold you would see that it's better
for web sites to use JavaScript. If they complied to /your/ wishes we
would have a thousand proprietary protocols, probably all /closed/
source, to communicate in between /closed/ source applications. Most
likely Microsoft or another Closed Source vendor would create a protocol
standard that applications would adopt, and you yourself would probably
have to write to! In this situation we have to choose the lesser of two
evils instead of no evils.