broken dependencies caused by GNOME bouncing between 3 and 2.x without any advance notice

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Aug 20 14:18:29 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 19 August 2010 at 18:26, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 17:18 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Thursday, 19 August 2010 at 16:39, Matthias Clasen wrote:
[...]
> > > Again, I'm sorry. Maybe it makes you feel better to know that I am
> > > feeling the same pain as you, but not for an individual package, but for
> > > all of GNOME...
> >
> > I understand. I don't mind the extra work due to the breakage, just the
> > fact that it wasn't clearly announced for such a big change. Some good
> > came out of it, too, so let's just strive to do better next time.
>
> The fedora-desktop list is usually where we discuss this, and we
> "announced" this in the "GTK+3 advisiblity for F14?" thread, after the
> upstream announcements were made (which I guess were pretty well
> publicised).

That's great, but I'm maintaining just one little application that
is affected. IMO ABI changes (even those affecting a handful of packages)
should be announced in devel@ and not require subscribing to additional
mailing-lists. I see plenty of people announcing ABI breakage (boost,
for a recent example). Why can't you?

> If in any doubts, hop on #fedora-desktop on GIMPNet, and I'm sure
> there'll be people to infirm or confirm your suspicions in the future.

It's not on FreeNode and I can't find any information about SSL/TLS support
on irc.gnome.org. I can't connect using unencrypted connection.

Regards,
Dominik

"Faith manages."