yum appmarket

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Aug 23 09:47:32 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> Some more tags for "functionally comparable to" and the name of
>> some well known programs for Windows or Macintosh would let
>> people cope with the original names of Linux apps.
>>
>> Nero -> k3b, xcdroast
>> Adobe Illustrator -> inkscape
>> Adobe Reader -> evince, kpdf, okular
>
> I think that would not fly for trademark reasons. I know there are sites
> which do that kind of mapping and that some upstream projects advertise
> their program as "comparable with (popular proprietary program XYZ)", but
> they're treading on a very fine line legally.

Isn't legally enough to just clarify that you are not XYZ?
Maybe an additional "Photoshop is trademarked by Adobe" line has to
be present.

Laws are certainly stupid sometimes, but AFAIK the purpose of a trademark
is just to guarantee the customer about the originality of what is buying.

If I say "this is GIMP, a program similar to Photoshop", there is no
reasonable possible confusion.

I know that in the USA generic drugs are marked as "XXX acid, equivalent to
Pfizer YYY commercial product", but on the other hand I know that
CentOS was asked by Red Hat to remove any "Red Hat" string from their
site... so maybe it could be as problematic as you are saying.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it