systemd and filesystems with noauto

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 23 15:19:59 UTC 2010

On Sat, 21.08.10 17:11, Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) wrote:

> I have a fstab entry like this:
>
> /dev/sde1 /mnt/sdcard autonoexec,noauto,users,ro,sync,shortname=lower 0 0
>
> which I use in a script to take pictures off my camera's SD card and
> transfer them to my photo management system. I've been doing it this way for
> a long time, and now with modern Linux I recognize that there's better ways
> of doing it. But I was surprised when I updated this system to latest
> rawhide and rebooted, because it came up with that filesystem mounted.
>
> Is this expected behavior?

Yes, I expected it.

In systemd we auto-generate all sorts of implicit requirement and
ordering dependencies between mount points and the devices they are
mounted from. This allows many neat tricks, for example we automatically
order mounts for /foo/bar and /foo properly, so that /foo is mounted
first and /foo/bar is mounted second, even though the devices might have
appeared in the device tree in the reverse order. I also added implicit
dependencies so that a device showing up that is listed in /etc/fstab
causes the device to be mounted. I figured this would be nice behaviour
and we basically get it for free, and actually I still think it is.

So, to turn this around. Do you think this behaviour is problematic? Can
you make a good case for dropping this automatism? If so I'd be willing
to do so.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.