systemd and filesystems with noauto

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 23 15:51:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23.08.10 10:28, Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> > So, to turn this around. Do you think this behaviour is problematic? Can
> > you make a good case for dropping this automatism? If so I'd be willing
> > to do so.
>
> The fact that "noauto" in /etc/fstab is documented to not automatically
> mount filesystems means that they shouldn't be automatically mounted.

Well, we took the liberty to interpret noauto a little bit differently
than you: everything marked "auto" will be mounted at boot, and boot
will not proceed until all devices listed as auto appeared and are fully
mounted (or things timed out). File systems marked as "noauto" won't
delay the boot process if they aren't, but they'll still be mounted when
they are plugged in, regardless whether that is at boot or during
runtime.

i.e. "auto" → wait for this on boot; "noauto" → don't delay boot for this.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.