systemd and filesystems with noauto

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 23 16:27:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23.08.10 10:52, Garrett Holmstrom (gholms at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > So, to turn this around. Do you think this behaviour is problematic? Can
> > you make a good case for dropping this automatism? If so I'd be willing
> > to do so.
>
> That behavior might be fine, but don't add filesystems marked "noauto"
> to the list of filesystems to be mounted automatically when reading fstab.
>
> Here are my use cases and other rationale.  I'm sure other people have more:
>
> * fstab(5) documents the "noauto" option

Well, what it says is that noauto results in "the -a option will not
cause the filesystem to be mounted". And that's still the case. We
execute either the real "mount -a" (or actually something equivalent) at
bootup, and that by itself won't cause the fs to be mounted still.

> * I manually mount network shares that aren't always available with the
> "noauto" and "user" options

That's not the issue here. systemd will never mount non-device mount points
automatically, unless listed as "auto".

> * Removable media that appear in fstab are usually marked noauto

And?

> * /boot doesn't always need to be mounted on every distro

And?

> * I mount large filesystems after the boot process finishes so fscking
> doesn't pause booting at $dayjob

And?

Lennart

--