systemd and changes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 23 19:33:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23.08.10 14:55, Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) wrote:

> This is such a substantial change, and the system so young, that I'm really
> afraid that one such cycle isn't going to be enough. I don't think it would
> be a failure to say that we should leave the system as optional for F14 and
> aim to make it default for F15.

Well, maybe we should discuss this when we actually ran into a real
problem instead of just "seeing patterns"?

Seriously, don't discuss these things to death in advance.

> > That all said if you have a look on the number and quality of open bugs
> > of systemd for F14 then it appears to be a lot stabler and more polished
> > than probably most of the stuff in the current base system. It's
> > definitely not a good metric, but I do believe if that even if the
> > number increases to a healthy level comparable with other core packages
> > we'd still be fine.
> > So, breath deeply, and let's all be jolly!
>
> I'm concerned there aren't enough eyeballs yet -- and people don't
> necessarily no where to look, because the changes can be in unexpected
> areas. It took me a few minutes to figure out that systemd was mounting my
> noauto filesystem, for example.

Well, it boils to the age old fact that software which is not used is
buggy. Simply by letting software rot for another 6 months bugs won't go
away. You have to push things into the distributions if they appear to
be ready, and they very much appear so to me in this case, and I managed
to convince FESCO of that.

Fix the bugs when you find them. Revert if things go really wrong. But
in this case they haven't. Absolutely not. Everything's on track.

Fedora is different things to different people. But I think I am not
wrong if I recognize that one mostly accepted consensus is that Fedora
is where the innovation happens and and which shall lead the development
of Linux as a whole. And that's why systemd is at the right place and
at the right time.

Please, end this discussion for now, and restart it if we find a real
issue? That's not too much to ask for now, is it?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.