systemd and changes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Aug 23 21:05:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23.08.10 15:52, Mike McGrath (mmcgrath at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) said:
> > > So, I'm honestly asking: what are the odds that these few things are the
> > > only improvements that cause a disruptive change to user interaction? I
> > > don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if there are other changes which fit
> > > this category.
> >
> > My concern with this line of thinking is that you're asking us to quantify
> > the unknown unknown, and define a time period of testing which is
> > 'long enough' for us to catch all the unknown unknowns. This seems
> > impractical, in as much as it doesn't give us any clear criteria to define
> > success with.
> >

> It's just risk management.  I think we'd be better off acknowledging there
> are unknown unknowns and try to mitigate them.  One way we could have done
> that this time around was making it an optional feature (as Matt was
> mentioning in a previous email) for F14 and then decide in F15 if it was
> ready.  Unfortunately that's not the path we seem to be on.  We unwisely
> seemed to declare it ready before anyone even saw it then we ignored what
> we didn't know as if we knew there were going to be no problems.  The sad
> thing is that's such an easy fix by making brand new features for core
> components like this opt in, even if it's just for a single release.

I am sorry, but your are discussing all this from the perspective as if
something went really horribly wrong with how things worked out. But
frankly, I don't even see what even remotely went wrong. So far, I am
myself surprised how smooth this all went. I was prepared for much
worse, I have expected much worse.

I know I am repeating myself: everything's wonderful.

I am quite frankly amazed about the magic powers of fedora-devel to
discuss to death issues that quite frankly have no base at all.

Stoping making up a case were no case can be made up.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.