Why does X run as root?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 24 01:17:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 13:16 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > This sounds like yet another good argument for removing the need to ever
> > > type a root password.
> > How does this make it better? Then someone would spy on the user password of
> > someone with sudo capabilities.
>
> If sudo is configured to give root access with the user password with no
> further restrictions, you're right. But it opens the doors to other
> possibilities, like requiring kerberos or key- or cert-based authentication
> for login. I know it's not feasible for most end-user desktops, but here we
> use two-factor authentication tokens for administrative access.

More generally, the situation would be, "Running code as X lets you read
anything typed on any terminal".  IMO, that's still pretty bad, and we
can hardly claim success in reducing the privileges of X without fixing
it.  Users are going to be entering secrets of one kind or another on
the keyboard for the foreseeable future.

--
Matt