drop default MTA for Fedora 15

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 11:43:24 UTC 2010

On 08/23/2010 08:15 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 20:10 +0200, drago01 wrote:

>>> A bit late to consider for F-14 imo (I'd argue something like should in
>>> place and testable by or near feature freeze), F-15 is doable.
>>
>> Test what? That no MTA is present?
>>
>> I'd  say we should stop arguing forever and just do it.
>
> What's the benefit of having no default MTA at all? Is it that Desktop
> users don't care about MTAs being installed? what about those of us who
> care more about server installations than Desktop?

Even the web page proposing its deletion acknowledges that "The
presence of a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) like sendmail has long been
the de facto standard."  Indeed it has: the ability to send mail from
a program has been an entitlement for as long as UNIX has been around.
In comparison with this, the benefit is very feeble: "One less
required package in the critical path, and we clear the way for
removing the MTA from the default install."

Andrew.