drop default MTA for Fedora 15

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Aug 24 13:56:21 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, pbrobinson at gmail.com <pbrobinson at gmail.com> said:
> Neither of those need to run a MTA locally to work, you just need to
> point them to a mail server, even then they need to be configured to
> send the mail to something other than root anyway.

They can't be configured that way; they don't implement SMTP.  It is a
de-facto standard for Unix programs to send mail by piping the message
to either /bin/mail or /usr/{sbin,lib}/sendmail.  That has the advantage
of queueing for later delivery (what if I'm off-line when mdmonitor
detects a failure?) and such.

Having to implement SMTP in every program and then configure every
program for SMTP server settings (including possible AUTH and SSL/TLS
parameters) is a really bad idea.

I'm still of the opinion that there should be _something_ at the
de-facto standard location of /usr/sbin/sendmail that can queue messages
for later delivery.  I don't care whether it is actually sendmail or
not.  Preferably, it should be something that can be easily configured
to smarthost and use SMTP AUTH.  I would use sendmail for that, but
that's just me (I understand many don't want sendmail and I have no
problem with that).

What do we gain by not having any MTA installed (other than a little bit
of disk space)?  I understand that "a little bit of disk space" can add
up quick, but a local queueing MTA is a pretty standard part of a Unix
system.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>