drop default MTA for Fedora 15

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Aug 24 14:13:09 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> said:
> Chris Adams wrote:
> > What do we gain by not having any MTA installed (other than a little bit
> > of disk space)?  I understand that "a little bit of disk space" can add
> > up quick, but a local queueing MTA is a pretty standard part of a Unix
> > system.
>
> Why are you complaining? If your package needs an MTA - put in a Requires!

It seems that this thread is trying to eliminate those requirements.
The mdadm package doesn't currently require MTA (needed for monitoring).
If the Requires was added, what would be the response (since the
proposal is to remove any MTA from the default package set)?

> Why do we need packages installed "just because?"

I guess I assumed that Fedora is still providing a Unix-like system.
There are a number of things in the Base package set that are there
"just because" this is still a Unix-like system, not because they are
required by any other installed software.  How many users use "at" or
"bc" (well, I use "dc" all the time)?  What about "ed"?  Nothing
directly depends on them (except for the LSB package, which also
requires "/usr/sbin/sendmail").

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>