Fedora Notifications System.

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:26:52 UTC 2010

2010/8/24 Garrett Holmstrom <gholms at fedoraproject.org>

> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > Reading this - I'm not sure all Fedora notifications should go through
> system
> > notification system. Why? I understand it for urgent/priority
> notification like
> > "Close your desktop, nuclear war out there" (or just a security update
> combined
> > with some steps how to fix it). But I hope it should work for a lot of
> things
> > like Fedora elections etc. - this should for example go to your calendar,
> some
> > tips how to use Fedora (just a RSS feed like Plasma widget?) etc.
>
> That essentially already exists [0], so just point your existing widgets
> at that.  I personally think that shoving things of this nature in
> users' faces is not the job of an operating system.
>
> [0] http://planet.fedoraproject.org/atom.xml
> --

@Jaroslav: The idea is to have a way to communicate Fedora with the user and
viceversa... If Fedora has another Important Bug like the "Update One" in
Fedora 13
"Hermes" will tell the user inmediatly and it will say the user how to fix
it. The idea is to have not only a notification system, but also a way to
keep the user in touch with Fedora.

I think that if there's already a plasma widget for a RSS Feed Parser (Or a
screenlet in case of gnome) we can start working from there... I'll also
would like to offer the user a "search bar" in hermes
that uses fedora's database to give search results to the user, so when
someone using fedora wants to know a "HowTo" instead of using Google,
they'll have the option of "Fedora answering them"

@Garret: Many things are not the job of an operating system already... The
idea is to transform Fedora in more that just software... Let's transform it
into a intelligent enviroment concerned about it's users
and powered by it's community...

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6