systemd acceptance, packaging guidelines (was Re: systemd and changes)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 17:11:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 11:15 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:45:33AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > GENERAL SANITY
> > > - Booting a system shall achieve a similar result as booting in upstart:
> > > -- The same set of services will be started.
> >
> > I don't think this is a requirement on systemd, really. If we make
> > changes to the default system configuration to not include a service in
> > F14 that was included in F13, that is not a systemd problem. So, I think
> > what you really mean here is: systemd will start all services that are
> > configured to be included in the default install (and dependencies), but
> > no others.
>
> If we're still including upstart as a fallback option, I think it's

The intent is not to do so in the final release, AIUI. We're only
keeping it around during pre-release, so that if we decide we need to
fall back to upstart for final release, it's easy to do. As far as I
know, the plan is to decide later (presumably after beta) which one
we're going with, and dump the other.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey