systemd acceptance, packaging guidelines (was Re: systemd and changes)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 17:23:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 12:14 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> > The intent is not to do so in the final release, AIUI. We're only
> > keeping it around during pre-release, so that if we decide we need to
> > fall back to upstart for final release, it's easy to do. As far as I
> > know, the plan is to decide later (presumably after beta) which one
> > we're going with, and dump the other.
> >

> So the alpha and beta will be tested in a configuration that the final
> release will not?

Hmm, I'd say 'not really, no' (unless we decide to fall back to
upstart). For Alpha and Beta, upstart packages are still present in the
repos and non-obsoleted, but unless you explicitly remove
systemd-sysvinit and install upstart-sysvinit, they aren't used in any
way. systemd is the init system that is used for boot.

We don't have to make any change at all to any systemd (or upstart) code
to remove upstart entirely; we just have to adjust some dependencies (in
fact, we make them simpler), a process which happens all the time for
orphans and which we're fairly practiced at by now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey