a note on order of arguements to systemctl command

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Aug 24 18:59:32 UTC 2010

The service command has a syntax like this:

 service servicename action

where as systemctl has a syntax like this:

 systemctl action servicename.service

This is inconvienient for the common case where more than one action is
performed in sequence on the same service, since with the first ordering,
one just hits the up arrow, ctrl-w, and then types the new action (with
tab-completion).

With the systemctl order, one must first skip back over the first word,
which due to the awesome emacsness of bash keybindings is more of a pain.

I'm not saying that systemctl's syntax needs to be changed. I am saying,
however, that it's important to get the service command working with
systemctl so that people can use that instead.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>