systemd acceptance, packaging guidelines (was Re: systemd and changes)

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 24 20:46:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 22:32 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> [...] In the event that F14 goes back
> > to upstart, the final release will use a configuration that may not have
> > received much testing.  If we want to claim that it's safe to switch
> > back to upstart after beta, we need to be testing that configuration
> > now, along with the systemd configuration.
>
> Well that wouldn't be a systemd issue but a flaw in our feature process.
> We have Feature foo with rollback plan to go back to bar.
>
> We decide to revert foo due to bug X, Y and Z and we and up with foo
> after beta ...

It is a potential problem with all features, but more so for replacing
the init system because the stakes are higher and the amount of testing
required is greater.

The "contingency plans" on most of the feature pages seem to state only
what the rolled-back configuration is, not how it will be tested.

--
Matt