drop default MTA for Fedora 15

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Aug 24 23:34:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 17:54 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 22:52 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 05:43:49PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > >  that seems like a bit of odd logic. The logs are emitted to syslog with
> > > the same thought in mind - that someone will read them - but that is
> > > also not necessarily true. But I would not want to see us discarding
> > > syslog, either.
> >
> > We have a range of utilities that perform useful syslog parsing. The
> > fact that most of them then seem to pass that output to sendmail leaves
> > me a little less convinced that anyone pays the slightest bit of
> > attention to them.
> >
> > More realistically, we install syslog because it gives us debug
> > information that we (as developers) wouldn't otherwise be able to get.
>
> Maybe that's why you do it - but I don't. And we have a lot of utilities
> that parse and handle logs and send proper notifications on events we
> need to worry about.

I have an MTA installed because I expect to get emailed logs, and root@
does go somewhere. Now, there are a couple of things I should admit:

1). I did replace the out-of-the-box MTA, because it was sendmail. I
don't actually care too much about using sendmail, I happened to have
configuration files that just work, because the entire mail subsystem
wasn't rewritten recently, so I could just copy those files in place.

2). I care more about the "server" experience on this machine than
pretty GUI stuff. I know that's no longer the default here :( I also
like to think about what I want to base upon Fedora in the future.

> And the first person who mentions snmptrap events gets slapped. :)

Well, I use SNMP for power control, etc. but even I am not anal enough
to use it at home for logging.

Jon.