systemd and changes

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 24 23:55:16 UTC 2010

Mike McGrath wrote:
> The sad thing is that's such an easy fix by making brand new features for
> core components like this opt in, even if it's just for a single release.

FYI, while this looks like an option in this particular case, it's not
always possible, or doing it might require a lot more work and result in
something less integrated. (For example, we definitely did evaluate the
option of shipping both KDE 3 and 4 in parallel in F9, we discarded it due
to many practical issues, such as FHS compliance forcing file conflicts,
significantly higher maintenance work due to many packages getting doubled,
having to choose which KDE to integrate with in some packages (including
kdelibs3 itself, which we are patching in some places to integrate better
into a KDE 4 environment), needing a separate ~/.kde4 to safely support
coexistence of old and new versions of the same applications (and as a
result, existing KDE 3 user settings not getting migrated automatically)
etc.) There are some features which are easy to make optional and others
which are very hard to make optional. It all depends on the individual
feature.

        Kevin kofler