fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 00:19:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think anyone can generalize that the usage of Fedora is
> declining.  What we can prove, and certainly is troublesome, is that
> yum check-ins of successive releases have been dropping by a couple
> percent each release (although downloads are actually up), compared on
> a per-week basis.  It's no less likely that this decrease is due to
> people just staying on a stable release, even past EOL.  I've heard
> anecdotal evidence to support that, which is no more or less valuable
> than any other anecdotal evidence being presented, I suppose (IOW,
> probably not worth a thing).  If someone can present a hard analysis
> that points to only one possible scenario, fantastic -- we can start
> looking at causes.

One additional metric which I'd like to see is the raw number of yum
check-ins per week regardless of ip-addresses as an historic trend.
As a stand alone metric its prone to both over and under counting like
the other metrics but in a different way. It would be interesting to
see if the raw yum check-in counts as an historic trend followed the
download trending or the unique-ip trending.

-jef