systemd and changes

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Aug 25 01:39:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 02:44 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Isn't "network" needed for people who don't run NetworkManager?
>
> The idea is that everybody should run NM. :-)

When it works reliably in all situations. I get a choice. Usually, I
will have NetworkManager installed on a fresh system (I say usually,
because there was a time when it would be removed immediately), but the
network device may not even be connected even after logging in (you say
this works, whereas I know it doesn't always because I've seen it). And
every system I have (I dunno about you) also uses KVM with various
bridging setups that "just" work the moment you aren't using NM.

That's not to say NM won't work for all cases eventually. It's just
another example of how typical (laptop) Desktop use is not the only
thing people are using Fedora for.

Jon.