systemd and changes

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 03:39:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > When there's a compelling use case for NetworkManager on machines that
> > don't move around?
>
> The "compelling use case" is that it doesn't make sense to maintain 2 pieces
> of core infrastructure code doing the same thing, especially when one's
> functionality is a subset of the other's. (Now the problem is that it still
> isn't, which I hadn't been aware of before this discussion, hopefully the
> missing stuff like bridging will get added to NM soon, and hopefully there
> won't be another missing piece "everyone" will be complaining about (before,
> it was systemwide settings, static IPs and IPv6, those are all implemented
> now AFAIK).)

I still prefer network scripts to NetworkManager everywhere except my
laptop.  Why?  Because I know exactly what bash scripts are going to do
every time.  Being able to predict what program X is going to do is
immensely valuable.  NetworkManager certainly has it's place, but it's not
on my servers.  The simplicity of /etc/init.d/network _is_ a feature and
it's not one NetworkManager can replace.

	-Mike