Fedora Notifications System.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Aug 25 09:13:29 UTC 2010

Michal Hlavinka wrote:

>> Well, IMHO Kopete shouldn't spam notifications for this type of non-
>> exceptional event at all. Is this enabled by default? If so, maybe we
>> should disable it by default in kde-settings?
>
> afaik it's enabled by default and not only for kopete. Kopete as many
> other apps uses kde notifications subsystem for a long time.

The problem is not that notifications are enabled by default (of course they
are), but what kind of notifications are enabled. The ones Kopete issues
don't make sense.

> You can check it in system settings->notifications.
>
> I don't think it should go to different kind of notifications or where/how
> do you think these notifications should be displayed?

Not at all. A change in online status of a contact should be reflected in
your contact list, but is otherwise irrelevant.

> for example kopete - there's deffinitely no need to have both "9:35:04
> User Xyz is typing" and "9:35:08 User Xyz send new message:...."
> notifications

That "User Xyz is typing" notification is also unhelpful and redundant and
should just be disabled by default.

I'll bring this up in the KDE SIG meetings, I think we should really disable
that stuff by default in kde-settings.

        Kevin Kofler