systemd and changes

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Aug 25 13:15:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 02:33:25PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 8/24/10 2:13 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 01:15:54PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >
> >> Because generally whats on the mainboard (or in the laptop) works.  If
> >> it didn't work, the first reaction isn't "Oh I need to go buy a better
> >> one" it's "why the heck can't linux work with this, is linux still a
> >> piece of crap?".  Replacing the soundcard in a laptop is even more tricky.
> >
> > People thinking that "linux is still a piece of crap" are usually not
> > that active in the FOSS development. And the first lesson I learned when
> > I started using linux was to buy hardware after checking that it is
> > compatible with linux. And this is usually followed by everyone I know
> > personally who is using linux. Do you really buy new hardware without
> > checking its compatibility with linux first?
>
> Video and wifi I check into.  Other than that I expect everything else
> to just work.

Then I guess you are lucky or do not use certain type of hardware. I
would check every bit of hardware, e.g. the onboard NIC (I know in the
past there have been issues with atheros or nvidia(?) devices not
directly working), the webcam (if I wanted one), USB3 (afaik there are
already boards providing it). Even for hard disks it is somehow
necessary, because of 4k sector hard disks, which were not properly
supported when the hit the market. Then for notebooks there are special
keys, that might not work, a fingerprint sensor, integrated modem and
umts device. And then there are even normal keyboards with special keys
that might not work. And there are also peripherals like printers or
scanners. I even came across a USB-serial adapter that does not work
with linux. I am not sure, but I believe that using different CPU speeds
did not work directly in linux, too. And probably PAE, too. So any
component may not directly work in linux and this is something that one
has to expect using linux as long as hardware vendors do not provide
drivers for linux before they push the device on the market. And
soundcards tend to be a less stable component, since there are lots of
different chipsets.

> > And do you use your soundcard in a way that you benefit from the
> > Pulseaudio features?
> >

> I can't really answer that because I don't really know what the features
> are over what we had previously.  I like for my applications to be able
> to use my soundcard all at the same time, which I had issues with before
> pulse, but that was on previous hardware as well.

This is the one feature that was available by buying a good soundcard.
And this does not mean a high-end one, but not a random one.

Regards
Till