systemd or why will user fall away from fedora?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Aug 25 13:31:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 12:20 +0200, Christof Damian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 23:06, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Till Maas wrote:
> >> If they like a faster bootup, then yes, they will. And I as a
> >> workstation user like it.
> >>

> > [citation needed]
> >
> > I asked for this and was told by developers they were reluctant to post
> > the data.
>
> I also wonder who these people are who boot their computers so often
> that boot-up speed makes any difference over a whole day.

Must be a limited set of developers. Let's face it, the average user
doesn't reboot all that often if they're doing suspend/resume, etc.
Those doing kernel development/plumbing hopefully have a separate test
box that isn't running a lot anyway (so won't take long to boot).

My desktop uptime:

[jcm at constitution ~]$ uptime
 09:28:22 up 24 days, 16:32,  9 users,  load average: 1.17, 0.50, 0.37

So clearly I'm absolutely, desperately concerned with 30 seconds or 5
minutes of boot time and it would be devastating if it took longer...

Jon.