systemd or why will user fall away from fedora?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Aug 25 17:38:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 17:06 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I reboot virtual machines all the time, certainly 100 times a day
> would not be unusual on a work day.
>
> Not an argument for or against systemd BTW, just an observation that
> how you use your computer is not how others use their computers.  You
> need to measure these things scientifically, not base it on your own
> personal experience.

Both true. I also have dozens of virtual machines that are frequently
rebooted, but generally speaking I hit the virtual button and don't care
whether it takes 30, or 38 seconds to get there. It's like when watching
a server and often laughing at how long it'll take the BIOS and bootable
devices to do their thing compared with the eventual, actual boot.

Anyway, I've always read the boot time thing as just a bit of fun had by
those who probably notice it the most. I've yet to be convinced it
really matters to everyone else any more, but you're right about stats
being the answer. I'd love to see a Fedora User Survey about what they
actually care about, and I asked for one to be done some time ago.

Jon.