fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Aug 26 01:41:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think anyone can generalize that the usage of Fedora is
> > declining.  What we can prove, and certainly is troublesome, is that
> > yum check-ins of successive releases have been dropping by a couple
> > percent each release (although downloads are actually up), compared on
> > a per-week basis.  It's no less likely that this decrease is due to
> > people just staying on a stable release, even past EOL.  I've heard
> > anecdotal evidence to support that, which is no more or less valuable
> > than any other anecdotal evidence being presented, I suppose (IOW,
> > probably not worth a thing).  If someone can present a hard analysis
> > that points to only one possible scenario, fantastic -- we can start
> > looking at causes.
>
> One additional metric which I'd like to see is the raw number of yum
> check-ins per week regardless of ip-addresses as an historic trend.
> As a stand alone metric its prone to both over and under counting like
> the other metrics but in a different way. It would be interesting to
> see if the raw yum check-in counts as an historic trend followed the
> download trending or the unique-ip trending.

Ask and ye' shall receive.

http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/yum_hits.html

I'm not quite sure what to make of it all yet except that this trend does
conflict with the "current release" numbers we have on the statistics page
(indicating people are using Fedora even after EOL) and that security
incidents requiring a rebuild of everything is bad for business, at least
temporarily :)

	-Mike